Sunday, March 1, 2009

Beautiful Birthday Bonanza

This past week was wild, with the Boston Globe Magazine essay on Sunday and amazing feedback (plus comments and letters from desperate men), two job interviews, the Skirt! photo shoot on Wednesday, chorus rehearsal, writing group, work, another phone interview, and my birthday on Friday. Whew! Even typing that is exhausting.

The rhythm of my days is usually much slower and under some semblance of control. But I’m gearing up for big changes and looking forward to a faster pace, with more stimulation and new adventures.

I don’t want to say much about the job interviews because I don’t know the outcome yet, but I should be hearing back this week. I’m done with uncertainty. Come to me, clarity and structure. I’m ready. (And I'm really excited about one job in particular!)

As to being photographed for the 24/7 feature in Skirt!, I am not a photo shoot person. I don’t like posing and I don’t like seeing myself in photos. Whatever. I better tap into my exhibitionism pretty soon, because the publicity can only help my writing career. So I decided I better get a makeover. Was there such a thing as a budget makeover?

I thought Clinique at Macy’s would be perfect, buy a lipstick and get made up, but they were booked with promotional appointments. So, on Monday, I was buying throat lozenges at CVS and noticed that my checkout woman was wearing a nametag: Liz, Beauty Advisor. Hmm. But Liz’s makeup was overdone and clown-like, with those penciled-in Grandma-like eyebrows. I did not want her to touch my face. I tentatively asked her about getting make up done there. She said she just did sales, nothing hands-on. She referred me to Raquel, the aesthetician. I was wary. I mean, who goes for a CVS makeover? CVS?

Raquel, a plus-size mahogany-skinned woman, was in the cosmetics section making over another very attractive African-American woman who was going to appear on TV. That was reassuring. We chatted briefly, and she understood the importance of my mission, so I booked a 10 a.m. Wednesday appointment, an hour before my shoot.

Late Tuesday night, I dumped every cosmetic product I owned into a big travel bag—Lancome and Clinique samples from department store special offers, lipsticks, brushes, blushes, mascaras, eye-shadow palettes, various shades of under-eye concealer, and a foundation that probably expired before the millennium.

At the appointed hour, I surrendered my face and bag of products to Raquel in exchange for a lip liner and new foundation. She went for the smoky eyes and subtle coloring and, except for a couple of clumpy eyelashes, I looked divine and felt like a star. People gathered around to watch. My stomach was in knots.

The photo shoot itself went by in a blur. I met Alison in the lobby of the Watertown Library. She was with Shannon, a tall blond beauty, who had one of those high-powered lenses like the guys next to the dugout at Fenway. Truly intimidating. But they were both reassuring and patient and I did major deep breathing to get through it. Tilt a little to the right, chin up, now down a little. Good. Click, click, click. It might’ve been a faux pas to ask to look at some possibilities at the end, but I couldn’t restrain myself. Now I wait till April to see the results!

On Friday I turned 55. Very strange. I just can't grasp the number. It was a low-key day, gorgeous weather. Finally, I got to do my Charles River walk after months of snow—the geese are back and the waterfall gushed like Niagara. Later, I indulged in a massage (one of those cheapie intro versions where they try to talk you into buying a package deal, which I didn’t) and then went to my Annual Ladies’ Night Out Party. See my Skirt! blog for a full report.

So, mid-decade, I'm moving ahead. Sometimes it’s so hard to see the fruits of one’s labor, but I think I’m beginning to. I’m getting my writing out there, connecting with new, creative people, and manifesting so much of what I’ve been working toward.

I clipped my astrological forecast from the February 27 paper.

If today is your birthday: Surround yourself with energetic people who can help you pull your ideas together and make them happen. It will be a year of meshing together all sorts of different aspects and elements of the things you’ve wanted to pursue. Don’t fear change when that is precisely what’s needed in order to bring things together for you.
Yes!

No comments: